Monday, December 12, 2011

Blessings for the Good and Bad

We read a text from the Mishnah that tells us to bless God for the bad things that happen in our lives as well as the good things that happen. This Mishnah is very similar to the blessing after Barechu because they both mean to thank God for both good and bad things.  
This Mishnah is definitely something that I really agree with.  I believe that everything always happens for a reason.  When something bad happens,  I think that God has made this happen on purpose because he/she  is trying to teach me a lesson and something good will come out of the situation, but maybe later in my life.  God should be blessed all the time, even when something bad happens because everything happens for a reason.  
          In my life, I have had a special connection to this prayer.  My 98 year old grandma is very ill and near the end of her life, and I pray so much everyday so she can stay alive and be healthy.  I also visit her every month to check on her and talk to her about school, after-school activities, friends, and more!  I pray to God that she is healthy and stays alive for a while.  I was also very blessed when she could make and attend my bat mitzvah one year ago.  During camp I was very sad and worried because I didn’t know if she could make it or not.  I prayed a lot every day and told my camp friends to pray also.  Because I connected so much with God from praying for her health to stay alive, and from being respectful to my elders and doing many different kinds of mitzvot, she was able to stay alive, and I of course, was very grateful. 
(-Gabriella, Kitah Zayin)

14 comments:

  1. i agree with everything you said.
    this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. It is very inspiring. Good for you to pray for her!!!!!! You are very lucky to have met your great grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. goodd jobb gabby rosee!! urr amazinngg!! mazollssss

      Delete
  3. thankk youu guys! thats so nice to say that! mel, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yotzer or uvoreh hoshech - bless God in light and in the dark, meaning that we should recognize God in a good way during both hard and easy times. This is an idea that that I definitely agree with. I for one believe that everything happens for a reason. When something bad occurs I think that God has made this happen on purpose because he is trying to teach me a lesson and something good will come out of the situation. God SHOULD be blessed all the time, even when something bad happens, because everything happens for a reason.

    I learned to honor God during the time that my grandfather died. Personally, I was very close with my grandpa. When he died it upset me very much and I was devastated along with the rest of my family. My mom was the person who helped me overcome my sadness. She told me that my grandpa died for a reason - God needed him. Those words have stuck with me since he died. After the period of mourning, I thought that something good was coming towards my family and me. I was waiting and waiting for a miracle to come for my family but nothing happened. Only then, I realized that my grandpa’s death brought me and my family closer and we had a stronger bond than ever. Don’t get me wrong, I wish that my grandpa was still here and healthy; but because that happened, I am glad that at least it wasn’t an only negative experience. It taught me that God should be recognized as a good force all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there is some good that comes out of bad. When my grandmother died I felt the same way. It brought my family together. It brought my father's side together and I am glad because I do not see them very often. You did a wonderful job.
      -Aliza

      Delete
    2. I agree with what you say because I think everything happens for a reason.

      Delete
    3. gabby! this is so good!

      Delete
  6. I think that everything - even if it’s bad - happens for a reason. It could be a punishment, or maybe not, but it makes life go. But then again, it is bad; so why should you be thankful for it? I think that maybe being grateful is part of accepting the bad thing. Or it could be that you are thanking God that whatever happened wasn’t worse. For example, if you thank G-d that you’re sick, then you are basically thanking Him for the fact that you were not even sicker or in more pain. As for thanking for a death, it could be that you are thanking G-d for the person to go to heaven and to look after you. But that is only what I believe, and it could be for another reason. (-Kitah Zayin student)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% with this Kitah Zayin student. We should be grateful no matter what. We, the Jewish nation should have a good name like the Torah says. We don’t want to be known as a spoiled and non grateful nation, we want to be grateful. If someone dies, it could be for a good reason because that person could be in a lot of pain or maybe that person could be struggling with life. Let’s say that your best friend or a loved one had a 101 degrees Fahrenheit fever - at least they don’t have a disease that is even worse. Therefore we should be grateful no matter what the circumstance is.

      Delete
    2. Personally I don't think that we should thank God for bad things, because they are bad. Why would anyone be thankful for bad things that happen? I don't believe that every thing necessarily happens for a reason.
      ben kitah vav

      Delete
  7. I can understan why you say that, but I would not really thank God if my relative died. I might thank God for their life, or that I knew them, but thanking God for the death of someone is something that I find depressing.

    ReplyDelete