Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Visualizing God

When I read or hear the phrase “Hei Ha-olamim” [which is found in both Yishtabach and Baruch She'amar] my first reaction is to visualize G-d as a "being" rather than "life itself."  However, I find it difficult to separate the two and also see G-d as life.  I believe God gives life to someone when they are born.  I also believe once someone is born He stays connected with the person their whole life.  At the same time, I see G-d is all around us and with us all the time, although giving us free will to decide what we want to do on our own.  I also believe He is a being of some sort because even if we can’t see or touch Him, He is always there to helps us and looks after us.
 When I pray in school, at home, or in synagogue and I do the Shema that is the time when I feel that I am closet to G-d the most and I also feel it is the most powerful prayer for me.  When I am speaking to Him, it is easier for me to think of G-d as a being.  When I pray, if I pray to “nature” or “the air” or something around me I do not feel that I am connected to G-d.  If I pray to G-d and I think of Him as an actual being, then I can get a picture in my head and know that G-d is listening to me.  That makes it easier for me to connect with Him.
I think the conception that G-d is a being is easier to understand for me, because I do not think about him as doing everything even though I know he helps everyone with everything.  (-Laura T, Kitah Het)

8 comments:

  1. I also think that the Shema is the prayer that makes me feel closest to God, because it's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is the Shema so important to you, Tori?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually, i just say the shema without feeling anything, but sometimes I remember when i askG-d to help me so that's why I try to connect to the shema

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, the Shema is also the most important prayer. Whether I say it at school or at home, it is the most special prayer to me, and makes me feel very close to Hashem. Saying the Shema connects me with Hashem more than any prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Shema is important to me because when I close my eyes, I block out everything that distracts me and I can really concentrate on my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Hei Ha-olamin” can be interpreted in two different ways. The first meaning is “God gives life” which translates to God is a Being of some kind who gives life to others. The second meaning is “God is life” which interprets to God is the process of life and nature.

    I agree with the second interpretation of the Hebrew term “Hei Ha-olamin”. My opinion is based on Breashit, where it says that God created the world. This means to me that this includes every living thing, whether it is nature or animals and people. Through my opinion, I came to the conclusion that I see God in the natural world around me.

    I believe that it is easier to believe in the concept that “God is life”. God created all living things, plants; people; animals; the sky; the ocean. The concept of trying to decide what interpretation to believe in is complicated, but I believe that God is in everything, living or something that seems non-living. I disagree that it is easier to pray to a Being or a “process” for two reasons. The first reason is because God is not human and no one can “make” God. My other reason being that a “process” can be anything ordinary, and God is different and unique from anything we know. But I do believe that someone should pray based on their religious beliefs. This reason was expanded in Judaism through the three main branches: Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that "G-d gives life" because g-d created us and if he did not give life we would be nothing.

      Delete
  7. I agree with both meanings. In Berashit, G-d created many living things: birds, animals, fish, and people. Therefore he is a being that creates life. But he is also life itself. He is everywhere, including inside of us.

    ReplyDelete